Originally an early, bustling, California gold mining settlement, Shingle Springs has taken on the character of a peaceful country community with ranches and homes on acreage. The area was riddled with rich placer mines, yielding up to $200 per rocker per day. With the discovery of gold came people and the first general store in 1865. As claims failed, the miners moved on, but cattle ranchers and farmers saw the value in these hills and continued to support the area. The first post office was established on February 3, 1853, and in 1866 the Sacramento Valley Railroad was extended to Shingle Springs. As a railroad terminus, the town boomed with trains and stages departing daily. It became one of the busiest business centers in the Golden State.

In 1867, the railroad found a new route through Auburn. Some area residents moved on, but many decided to stay and establish Shingle Springs as a permanent community. On May 11, 1865, the name was changed to Shingle. It stayed that way until 1955, when it again became Shingle Springs.

--from sscpchamber.org